20. Achieving Happiness
How to :
Lately I have found myself lost in the world, thinking about career paths, about the power of social media has in our day to day life, and really what I want to do with my life. A combination of all those factors have made my happiness levels slip to low numbers and I could not bring them up doing my usual "happy" activities.
Five weeks ago I was reading through Linked in and I found the course "The Science of Well-Being" offered for free through Coursera. I can see you all rolling your eyes thinking this is a sponsored post about an online learning platform but believe IT IS NOT ! After reading the introduction for the course I decided to give it a go and the course has teach me so much about myself and humanity.
Like the tittle states : The Science of Well-Being the course ( 7 seven weeks I have been studying it ) talks about why people are unhappy, what people think is going to make them happy, why are some goals not achievable and why when we tell our-selves we will start * insert very important goal here * but that they becomes tomorrow and tomorrow becomes next week, next week becomes next month ... you get the gist of things.
The course has taught me that even though we cannot be happy 100% of the time we can make an effort to at least be happy 80% of the time following little exercises and change the way we see the world.
Here are some of the things that you can start implementing to make your day, week, month, year, life a little happier.
1. Take a moment at the end of the day and write about an activity that you enjoyed that day and also share it with someone.
2. Make a list of things you are grateful for.
3. Do random acts of Kindness for 7 days ( smiling counts ). Write them down.
4. Take 5 minutes of your day and talk to someone you have not connected for in a long time and just catch up. Write the conversation down.
5. At least 15 minutes of exercise everyday.
6. Try to sleep at least 8 hours a day
8. Appreciation to someone. i.e give someone a letter explaining why they are important to you.
OF COURSE you DO NOT have to try to squish all this little things in one day or one week. Pick two and practice them throughout the week. Next week pick another two and practice them and so on and so forth. Don't give yourself a hard time if you missed a day or two REMEMBER we are doing this to make you happier not angrier.
I have been doing this for the last 4 weeks and I can tell you that I feel so much happier, less stressed, less anxious and I can control my emotions a bit more.
Try it out and let me know how it goes, if you have any questions or if you would like me to give a bit more detail on a certain point/exercise.